OTT streaming platforms are increasingly popular as many leading brands are spending billions of dollars on live sports rights to provide sports content directly to consumers through digital platforms.
According to Deloitte’s prediction, the major streaming platforms will invest over $6 billion on exclusive major sports rights in the global market in 2023. While ReThink TV reports said streaming will see sports media rights revenues hit $85 billion by 2024. Amongst the world’s most profitable sports, the price of soccer rights is expected to swell from $12.8 billion to $31.9 billion during this time period, primarily due to greater viewership of Europe’s top leagues in Asia and North America. The revenue generated from subscriptions and advertisements have proven that people’s and brand’s interest towards OTT games is increasing.
.. So, before you dive into the reasons why broadcast sports over a stream, you should first understand the difference between streaming and broadcasting. So, let’s get to understand what they are.
Table of Contents
Live Broadcasting vs. Live Streaming
Let’s imagine, a family watching the evening news together on the television or fighting for a remote because few of them want to watch cricket or others want to watch their favorite show. Whether live or pre-recorded, the content is scheduled, and access to it is limited. While that’s not to say that a stream can’t be scheduled or even short-lived, this concept is at the core of broadcast technology.
However, Streaming and Broadcasting are quite similar to each other, but the difference is in the nature of the signal. A single signal being picked up by separate devices is broadcast. Multiple signals being sent to multiple receivers refers to streaming.
Why Broadcast Sports Over a Live Stream?
The sports organizations are streaming games, matches, tournaments, and other sports shows via the internet because live and on-demand streaming offer huge advantages compared to traditional television broadcasts, such as
Overcome Barriers to Entry_ Presently, more than 110 streaming services are available, offering TV, entertainment shows, movies, sports, and many more. This means it lowers barriers to entry around streaming.
- The entire streaming platform requires content either licensed or originally created, a server to broadcast content to viewers, or a user interface to interact with viewers.
- However, getting a slot to broadcast on television is not as easy as streaming platforms.
- It is costly and difficult.
- Streaming platforms don’t involve competing for limited space on the airwaves. Thus, prices are much lower. It is also driving down prices due to the increasing ubiquity of broadband internet connections.
Global Audience: –Reaching a worldwide audience with television broadcasts is incredibly difficult. Live streaming has removed these barriers and made this happen. It allows broadcasters to access viewers much more directly. Live streaming not only make it easy to reach global audiences but also reduces the expense and difficulty of negotiating contracts with numerous distributors and partners.
Multi-Device Streaming: – Smartphones and tablets are leapfrogging ahead and becoming more widespread, enabling broadcasters to deliver sports content directly to the viewers, anytime & anywhere. Live streaming via the internet offers the ability to tap into a larger audience wherever they are on their own devices.
Generate Revenue: The streaming platform works on Pay-per-view, or TVOD, which is the most popular model. Live streaming enables broadcasters to integrate the pay-per-view model easily to generate revenue. Another option is a subscription, which allows access for an extended period of time for a one-time fee. Sports fans are quick to pay for content they see fit, and this helps in generating revenue.
Top OTT Sports Streaming Services
Now, there are huge options available to enjoy favorite live sports and cheer for the team you love the most. For this, you don’t need for traditional television channels, regular cable or satellite subscriptions. Countless Live streaming services are available to offer and gear toward a more general audience. Some focus on OTT live streaming, and others only offer on-demand content. Most offer free content, premium content, or a mix of both. So, let’s look on some.
- Prime Video
- HBO Max
- YouTube TV
- Disney+: – It is one of the best OTT streaming platforms that has films and TV series that The Walt Disney Company owns. The Disney+ monthly cost is $7.99/month or $79.99/year for unlimited, ad-free streaming access. It’s programs are Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star, National Geographic, and Star Wars.
- Netflix: – It has become one of the largest on-demand streaming platforms, featuring over 15000 titles. Another feature that makes the OTT video platform popular among people who enjoy “binge-watching” is that it uploads entire seasons of television shows at one time. Netflix offers three different monthly pricing plans that include unlimited, ad-free streaming. Plans range from US$6.99 to US$19.99 per month.
- Hulu: – Another OTT streaming platform, which is quite difference from Netflix, as new episodes are typically uploaded the day after they air. Hulu subscriptions packages are – Hulu: 7.99/month, Hulu (No-Ads): $14.99/month, Hulu + Live TV: $69.99/month, Hulu (No-Ads) + Live TV: $75.99/month and others.
- Prime Video: – It is an Amazon’s own service, which enables audiences to unlimited access to a library of video content with a subscription, and it also has additional content available for rent or purchase. The best thing of this platform is that users can purchase access to films that are still in theatres.
- HBO Max: – An OTT video streaming service offers content from HBO’s parent company, WarnerMedia, and enabling audiences to access to movies that are still in theatres at no additional cost. There are two subscriptions packages, streaming with ads costs $9.99/month and Ad-free streaming is $14.99/month.
- YouTube TV: – You may have familiar with this OTT streaming platform that offer both subscriptions for unlimited streaming and pay-per-view for accessing individual pieces of content. Audiences will have provided from over 85 television channels, which are more popular with video gamers, similar to the Twitch streaming platform.
Enthusiastic sports fans need a sports streaming service that can provide coverage throughout the season. Not only can you watch games and events, but many services come with bonus features. Additional features like unlimited DVR, multiple screens or offline downloads make a OTT sports streaming service top notch. The flexibility to add on different channels is also a plus for more entertainment. There are many sports streaming services to choose from, whether you want to watch cricket or Tom Brady for another season.